This lazy blogger is back, and I’m proving my laziness once again by writing this post! It’s a really quick update, mostly because I realized that I haven’t been doing much blogging around here.
As you already know, I started a new job last month. I’ve been a busy bee and adjusting to the night shift schedule has proven to be difficult. Not only do I get to start living life as a night owl, I also get to see people less! Even people around me are learning to sync their schedule with mine, and for that I’m eternally grateful. I feel like Alex has a more difficult time adjusting than I do!
The cons are more striking than the perks. First, I can no longer go on movie dates on weekdays because I’ll end up being late to work. Second, traveling with friends even on weekends is near impossible because I’m mostly asleep on a Saturday. Goodbye Batad, goodbye Nagsasa. Oh well. The things you have to sacrifice for you career, right?
It’s not so bad, though, because I am enjoying my schedule much more than I thought I would.
- Working on a night shift schedule sounded horrifying at first, but I’m learning something new everyday and that’s always a plus. I feel like I’ve learned more about SEO in a month than I did during the last two years in my last job. I don’t want to discredit my work experience in my previous company, but it’s really quite frustrating.
- It’s still disorienting that on my way home every morning, the people I pass by are on their way to work. Everything works backwards for me now.
- I can no longer go on movie dates, or dinner dates for that matter, on weekdays. For my sister’s birthday, I had to leave early! And even when I left early, I was still late for work. Huhu.
- Just so Alex and I can meet each other on weekdays, he has to drop by my dorm early so we could have dinner before I go to work. It’s sad that we don’t get to spend a long time together, but for now, short dates will do. :sobs:
- Sleep has been such a luxury. During my first two weeks, I had trouble sleeping way past 12 p.m. Though I fall asleep as soon as I get home, I always wake up around noon because I get hungry. Going back to sleep is the most difficult trial so far. Thankfully, I’ve been getting stressed at work lately, and it results to a longer and more satisfying sleep!
- Basically, my biological clock is all messed up. I spend so much time trying to sleep even on weekends. Today, I woke up at 3 a.m. even though I don’t have to go to work till 9 p.m. I’ll just try to nap before going to work later.
- Telling ghost stories seems to be a thing at work. My boss is fond of it, and my colleagues take turns sharing stories that took place in the office. I’m no longer the biggest scaredy-cat, but I still get scared shitless.
- People learned that my name is Rodlen, and some of them resorted to just calling me Rod. I hope it’s just a phase!
- I get asked frequently whether I’ve made friends at work. Eunise said it’s because they know me that’s why they ask like every week. I don’t know what she means. Is it more normal for me to be all alone and broody? Haha! But yes, I’ve made some friends at work. Can I hear a woot?
- Truthfully, I am enjoying my schedule, mostly because I found it easier to get-along with my night-shift colleagues than the people I met during day shift. I guess it’s mostly because we’re a smaller group, so I really get the chance to talk to almost everyone. It’s quite a revelation that I somehow managed to have friends THIS early. I’m lucky that most of them are incredibly friendly, and I didn’t have to exert that much effort in making friends.
- It’s been quite a while since I’ve worked this hard. (LOL) I guess working at the same company for four years with barely any change in workload made me crave for a challenge. And now that the workload is being piled on more and more everyday, challenge is really what I get.
- Since I’m new, there’s still the fear that everything I do is wrong every freaking day. So I’m just waiting till I’m no longer new that I can just chill. I wonder if it’ll ever happen.
- I get hungry all the time! If I don’t start jogging again, I bet I’ll be gaining weight again in no time.
- Also, pimples. Tons of them.
- My officemates learned that I like KPOP, and you can just imagine the teasing that came after. I’ve been introduced as the “KPOP Princess.” I hope that will never happen again.
- It’s pretty great that I met people at work who like things I like! There’s one who likes Korean revenge movies and another who likes KPOP, too. I was even introduced to someone who loves shojo manga, and she has given me tons! Also, my seatmate watches The Return of Superman and likes the Song triplets! So yes, this fangirl is happy.
- I’m barely on Twitter these days! My social networking life has taken a dive. Good thing I can still fit into my schedule watching dramas and movies. I’m currently watching Angry Mom and Girl Who Sees Smell, and I’m enjoying both.
I started talking about work and ended up going off about dramas. Some things never change.
Other office newbie misadventures can be summed up in this article I wrote for Manillenials. See? Instead of writing a proper blog post, I’m leading you to another article instead. Heh.
As for now, I have to fill in the hours before work trying to go back to sleep and watching three more episodes of Girl Who Sees Smell. My weekends suddenly feel a lot longer.